Businesses have growing needs that the usual cloud technology cannot address. Fortunately, edge computing is providing more flexibility, autonomy, low latency, high throughput, and better security, closing the gap clouds have failed to fill. Consequently, the interest for edge cloud platforms is on the rise and business owners are adopting them fast.
At Ormuco, we’ve spent the last years developing an edge computing platform that brings cloud features closer to the end devices. Here’s an insight of what edge cloud platforms like Ormuco can do for you.
What Does an Edge Cloud Platform Do?
Edge cloud platforms enable organizations to provide IT services such as infrastructure or software from a single, unified dashboard.
Cloud technology focuses on centralizing the computing for your business. Instead, edge technology focuses on decentralizing IT. So, with an edge cloud platform, you get complete, end-to-end capabilities to offer your services in different ways.
Whether those services are for corporate or business usage, an edge cloud platform simplifies the way your computing environments are deployed and managed.
Understanding How an Edge Cloud Platform Can Help Your Business
Looking into the Modern Retail Shopping Experience
Retail companies such as IKEA are using augmented reality and virtual reality (AR/VR) to offer clients a totally different experience in their shops and online.
Shoppers are used to trying different designs of kitchens, bathrooms, living rooms or bedrooms when they walk in an IKEA store. The experience has enhanced in the recent years and customers have further testing choices. With VR helmets on, they have access to virtual rooms where they can add and remove pieces of furniture, combine different styles and more.
Online, using the IKEA AR app on their mobile devices, shoppers can pick a sofa, a bed, or whatever equipment from the catalog, and test live in 3D how it would fit their rooms.
Now, Where Does the Edge Cloud Platform Fit In This Example?
On one hand, these different AR/VR applications need real-time processing to offer the greatest user experience. Edge computing helps in providing servers that are close to the end devices, in a decentralized model. The data is rendered live and used immediately. For the business, it is an increased opportunity for an instant sale. The customer is happy and can quickly make a decision to purchase.
On the other hand, the retail company is collecting all the AR/VR application data and storing it for further analysis. Raw data from different stores and users is processed later for sales reporting and improvement. For this part, cloud computing provides the centralized storage and processing resources.
With an edge cloud platform that combines all of the computing options, businesses can fuel their business intelligence, increase revenues and thrive.
What Are the Best Edge Cloud Platform Features in Ormuco?
Infrastructure as a Service
Ormuco lets you deploy bare metal servers and kernel-based virtual machines. On top of these common functionalities, it provides:
- Containers as a Service – Enabling to create – Docker containers with Kubernetes orchestration.
- Software-defined storage – Our edge cloud platform supports block, file, archive, or object storage so you can take control of your data.
- Software-defined networking – You can configure routers, firewalls or load balancers, set virtual private networks and DNS, or assign IP addresses in a few clicks.
- Powerful security – By default, our edge cloud platform supports single sign-on, encryption, multi-factor authentication, and SSH key pair authentication.
- Database as a service – Modern relational databases like MySQL, DB2, Percona XtraDB, and PostgreSQL are available in different versions.
- “Big Data” support with Hadoop and NoSQL – Our edge cloud platform supports MariaDB, MongoDB, Redis, Vertica, and other modern big data and business intelligence databases.
Our edge cloud platform makes it possible to automate the provisioning of all configuration items, including hardware and software.
Ormuco does not use static images but combines scripts and APIs to generate a new computing instance for the exact need of the moment, through the Spiderkube functionality.
Automatic instance creation and deletion, as well as load balancing and other tools, allow you to scale workloads instantly.
Finally, you’re equipped to expand your infrastructure to the edge of the network, as Ormuco is compatible with any kind of x86 or ARM-based hardware.
Virtual Systems Administration
Once your infrastructure is in production, Ormuco is intelligent enough to point out where the usage is higher and deploy new resources to balance loads without any human intervention.
If any of the components is behaving abnormally, the edge cloud platform knows what to do to avoid a failure. Through the Cerebro engine, it learns from your previously resolved incidents and prevents upcoming issues from happening.
Finally, when a computing instance is no longer in use, the Ormuco edge cloud platform simply decommissions it. Again, the platform takes the decision and there is no manual activity involved.
Why Ormuco Is Your Best Edge Cloud Platform
Ormuco specializes on edge cloud platforms. This means you get the best technology for the exact edge cloud needs of your company.
Let’s take a look at some of the reasons that Ormuco easily outpaces the competition.
- Lower overall cost with no vendor lock-in – We offer a simple, transparent pricing policy. We charge a one-time setup fee, and then monthly per consumption of the resources. Our edge cloud platform uses public, open source technology at the core. Consequently, when you use Ormuco, you both save money and avoid vendor lock-in.
- Integrates all your ecosystem environments – With Ormuco, it’s easy to bring together your data center and edge systems into a single platform and interface. Moreover, you can deliver IaaS, PaaS and SaaS successfully.
- Multi-tenancy with white-label features – For any managed service provider, it’s easy to get multiple clients on board, manage their resources, and bill them under a single interface. This saves time, money, and resources. In addition, our edge cloud platform will allow to customize the interface to your company colors and logo. This means you can sell to clients using your own brand.
- Hardware agnostic, with short deployment times – Ormuco runs on any hardware, which allows you to reuse existing servers. We deploy the platform in less than 30 days, on commercial of-the-shelf or enterprise equipment.
For these reasons – and many more – Ormuco is the best choice for any company that needs distributed computing with cloud features.
Get Started with Ormuco Today!
Why not contact us to learn more about Ormuco? Your edge cloud platform may be just a click away! You can request a demo right away to get started. We’ll contact you to set up the details.